Since 1923, Mott Community College has provided quality educational opportunities to the Greater Flint area. The College has embraced several names including Flint Junior College, Flint Community Junior College, Genesee Community College and Charles Stewart Mott Community College.

When the Flint Board of Education founded the Flint Junior College in 1923, classes were held at Flint Central High School. As enrollment increased, the College moved to the Oak Grove Sanitarium and in 1950 Charles Stewart Mott gave $1 million to develop Flint Junior College into a four-year institution in collaboration with the University of Michigan (UM-Flint).

Check out the flip cards below for more interesting facts about Mott Community College.


For more facts and information about the history of Mott Community College, check out the book: “ A Clearer Image: The 100 Year History of Mott Community College” by Paul Rozycki (Retired MCC Political Science Professor)



In 1937, the college adopted the Bears as its nickname.



By 1930, there were over 450 junior colleges located in 43 states ... the Flint college was the second to be accredited by the North Central Association



Six major areas of study were [initially] offered; general literary (liberal arts); pre-engineering; pre-dental; pre-medicine; pre-law and business administration



Tuition for the first year was $20 per semester with a $3 athletic fee. Non-residents paid $67.50 per semester



In the first month of the junior college’s existence the student government met, elected officers and selected black and gold as the school colors.



In 1925, the first graduating class included 35 students who had completed full work for their degrees.



During the 1930s, the enrollment stabilized between 300 to 500 students and an array of student activities developed.



In the 1930s, intercollegiate athletics competed in men's basketball, football, swimming, track, and women’s basketball.



In December, 1924 the first “Snow Ball” was held at the Durant Hotel. It was an annual Christmas dance, one of several major formal dances of the year, continuing until the late 1960’s.



The Lenore Croudy Family Life Center officially opened in August 2021, but had been providing food, clothing and emergency financial assistance to students in need through out the COVID-19 Pandemic.



Initially known as Flint Junior College, the first classes were held at the Flint Central High School in Fall 1923.



The MCC International Institute was founded in 2015.



In 2016 MCC hosted its first visiting Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Tomoyo Nakao of Okayama University, Japan. Since then, MCC has also hosted Fulbright Scholars from Ukraine, India and China.



MCC was the first college in the country to offer training in Autopsy Assisting, launched in 2009, a specialized program focused on training students into careers involving forensic and medical autopsy including morgues, organ donation programs, pathology labs, and death scene investigations.



By the mid-1990s, classes were offered via video tape, television and the internet as Mott became one of the leading community colleges in distance learning.



The Associate degree in Nursing Program was granted initial approval by the Michigan Board of Nursing on July 13, 1956. Full approval was granted on June 3, 1960.



Dr. Beverly Walker-Griffea is the first female and first African American president in Mott Community College’s history.



Charles Stewart Mott Community College, as it is officially named, has had three other names throughout history. This most recent change occurred on June 2, 1973 as part of the College's 50th anniversary celebrations.



In 1931 Flint Junior College (now MCC), moved to the former Oak Park Sanitarium after outgrowing its space in the Central High School.



The Marie Prahl College Center was built in 1971 and named after former Dean of Students, Marie Prahl.



Coach Schmidt’s 753 victories in 30 seasons at MCC are the most by any men’s coach in Michigan college basketball history, including four national championships.



In 1952, the Ballenger Field House began construction as the first new building on the recently donated land, now the MCC campus. William S. Ballenger, Sr. set aside $200,000 after his passing for the construction.



Justus H. Thigpen, Sr. is the first athlete from Flint to play in the National Basketball Association (NBA). He earned a basketball scholarship to Flint Junior College, becoming the basketball team's starting guard from 1965 to 1967.



Previously housed in the Flint Institute of Arts building, the Fine Arts Department moved at the end of 2002 to the Visual Arts and Design Center on MCC's main campus.



MCC was the first college in Michigan to offer an ASL/Interpreting Ed. program in the early 70’s.



1927-1955 the college clubs hosted an annual Stunt Supper, sharing special stunts from each club including lifting a piano multiple stories.



In September 2000, Former President Bill Clinton became the first sitting president to speak at the college.



The Lenore Croudy Family Life Center is the first building in the City of Flint to be named after an African American Woman.



In 1951, William Ballenger, Sr. left a trust of several million dollars that allowed the college to hire top quality instructors to elevate Flint Junior College.



The M.A.Gorman Science Building first held classes in Fall 1959, focused on lab spaces to improve science and technology education.



Culinary Arts launched as a one year Certificate and two year Associates Degree program in September, 1968. Photo circa 1969.



The Lenore Croudy Family Life Center building was formerly the Woodside Church, dedicated in 1952, and still contains the sanctuary space.



The 1st edition of the student newspaper The College Clamor was printed in 1925.



In 1930, Flint Junior College printed the Acorn, its first yearbook (separate from the high school).



In 1938, students held a "Book Walk" to move the college library from Central High School to the new Oak Grove campus. 440 students carried 9000 books.



November, 1960 a second "Book Walk" moved books from Oak Grove to the current Mott Library on Court Street.